Mother’s Day is an opportunity where everyone can proudly show their mother how much they love or adore her. In the 1600s English Christians began celebrating this day to honor Mary, the mother of Christ. In the United States, it would become an official holiday in 1914, which became quickly commercialized, which was not the intent of Anna Jarvis who created the celebration of this day in 1908. Many celebrate this day by spending time with mom, others give moms the day off (sending them on trips or spa days) and many buy items such as flowers, candies, and cards. What does the bible say we should do about Moms?
Mother is mentioned in the bible over 300 times, obviously, she is a very important person to the Lord. Mothers can be in many forms, mothers (biological or adopted), stepmothers, aunties, Godmothers, and even mothers-in-law. Below is a list of bible verses about Mother for Mother’s Day. In Proverbs we learn all about what it takes to be a virtuous woman and how important they are as mothers, taking care of their family and helping to provide for them.
Bible Verses about Mothers
Not always is a mother, someone that births the child, sometimes it is a person that is raising the child. The Bible shows you that a mother teaches her children with the wisdom she has gained through experience. A mother is a caregiver, a teacher, a financial advisor, a chef, a comforter, etc. She teaches us that words can hurt and how to use kindness instead. She is oftentimes the one that introduces us to faith. This shows that moms are extremely important in a child’s life, mothers shape the children into who they will become.
- Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her..- Proverbs 31:25-30
- My son, keep your father’s command and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. Bind them always on your heart; fasten them around your neck. – Proverbs 6:20-21
- Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. – Proverbs 22:6
- “As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.” – Isaiah 66:13
- “Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction, and don’t reject your mother’s teaching, for they will be a garland of grace on your head and a gold chain around your neck.” – Proverbs 1:8-9
- A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come, but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. – John 16:21
A Mother Can Bring You Faith
When a mother is strong in her faith and raises her children up with it they tend to share the faith with their children as they get older. Seeing her children do this will make her heart fill with love. Always remembering the stories their mother shared. Here are two bible verses about mothers and what happens when they have a strong faith.
- I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. – 2 Timothy 1:5
- “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” – 3 John 1:4
The Bible says to Honor Your Mother
Not only is this phrase repeated again and again in the bible, but it is also one of the commandments and gives us a promise. (Deuteronomy, 5:16, Matthew 15:6/19:19, Mark 7:10/10:19, Luke 18:20, Ephesians 6:2, 2 Peter 1:17) Listen and obey but to do things that would honor them, not shame them. If you do that, you may live a long life.
- Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you. -Exodus 20:12
Bible Verse about Caring for Mother
Do not harm your mother- Never raise a hand to your mother or do anything to her that could harm her. For she is the one that comforts you (Isaiah 66:13) when you need it. A mother should be treasured, cherished, just as she loved you. Just remember all those countless photos she made you take so she would remember those moments in years to come. The events she showed up to let you know you had support.
- “Anyone who attacks their father or mother is to be put to death.” – Philippians 21:15
- “Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father.” – Leviticus 19:3
- “And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.” – Luke 2:51
Bible Verse about Caring for Mothers and Mother-in-Laws
Love Your Mother, take care of her- Mothers shouldn’t be left all alone when the kids have all grown and the husband has passed away. Children should think about how to care for mom when everyone else has left her. If they can’t they should be looked after by someone they would’ve trusted. Jesus had John agree to take care of her. He knew he would not be around forever and had John agree to take her in, for he knew John would protect her even after he was gone.
- When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home. – John 19:26-27
Naomi tried to tell Ruth to go with Orpah back to their home, but she refused. She wanted to stay with her, take care of her and be with her. She was loyal to her mother-in-law, it did not matter that their husbands had passed. But she didn’t just stay with her, she obeyed her, made sure she got to eat, and honored her in every way she possibly could. She was definitely rewarded for this kind gesture too.
- But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.” – Ruth 1:16-17
You are expected to treat your mother with respect and honor, just as you would any other woman.
- “Treat older women as you would your mother, and treat younger women with all purity as you would your own sisters.” 1 Timothy 5:2
Mother’s Day Gift Idea
A great Mother’s Day gift idea would be to put one or all of these on pretty index cards or cardstock paper, laminate them and stick them on a keyring for your mother. This way if she is ever feeling down, or just needs a bit of encouragement she has them with her. Have kids make some Mother’s Day Cards for Mom this year. Below is a list of a few other bible verses that if added to a beautiful card would be a nice touch to let you know how much she means to you.
- “So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” – 1 Corinthians 13:13
- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things, there is no law.” – Galatians 5:22-23
Do you have any nice Mother’s Day gift ideas that you can do for mom that aren’t just flowers and candy? Many mothers love items made from the heart, even breakfast in bed or a Mother’s Day brunch may be nice. Can’t wait to hear from ya!