How many of you have a garage? Chances are you are constantly using it without ever thinking of it either going out or what happens if it breaks one time. I know I didn’t, at least not until the day I went to pull it down from inside the garage and the metal door fell off the track and smacked me in the head. I immediately dropped to the ground, thankfully none of the kids were hurt but it did quite some damage to me, my neck, back and head hurt for quite some time…I got lucky. Not everyone else gets lucky like that, even if I did deal with some horrible pain.
Many people don’t even realize that with a simple little maintenance they can save themselves a lot of bills later on. A simple squeak of the wheel may mean it needs WD40 but if it isn’t done it can mean having to replace a wheel or the entire track later on. Here are a few statistics for you:
“Home and vehicle maintenance and safety are two things you don’t neglect. You diligently change the batteries on your smoke alarms in the spring and fall. You don’t neglect oil changes for your car. But when was the last time you thought about maintenance on the heaviest moving appliance in your home, your garage door? If you are like most of the homeowners recently surveyed by Harris Poll – you rarely, if ever, perform routine maintenance on your garage door. And that can lead to inconvenience, or even injury.
The International Door Association (IDA), a trade association comprised of more than 2,000 door and access system dealers and installers worldwide asked Harris Poll to conduct a survey on their behalf of homeowners with garages. The IDA would hope that homeowners consider maintenance of their garage door the same way the consider maintenance of their smoke alarms and cars – as a necessity for the overall care and safety of their home.”
- 54 percent have never had a garage door and/or garage door opener safety check performed by a professional garage door/dealer installer
- 47 percent have never had a garage door professional inspect or service their garage door(s)
- 34 percent admit that no one in their household has ever personally tested the safety features of their garage door(s) and/or garage door opener(s)
- 27 percent say that their garage door’(s) hinges and rollers have never been lubricated
- 12 percent say that they are not at all sure when their garage door’(s) hinges and rollers were last lubricated
For a chance to win a $25 Visa Card click the survey link and come back here and let me know something you learned or read. Tell me one way you maintain your garage or a horror story for an extra bonus point. (must be a separate comment). Share this post and get another bonus. The winner will have 24 hours to respond.